Keyword Matching Types
Choose the type of match — make it clear to Ads, for what queries you need to show ads. Depending on the type of matching, it is possible maximize the reach of the audience or reduce it to the required minimum.
Match Types Google Ads: What Are Keyword Match Types?
As an example, take an ads campaign for a dishes online store. Keyword is «buy cup». Let’s view different types of matches and variants of actual requests for them.
|Match Types||Special symbol||Example|
When ad is shown
|Request which may shown ads|
|Broad Match||—||buy cup||The request contains |
a misspelled word, a synonym, a similar phrase, or another relevant variant.
|a red cup|
|Broad Match Modifier||+||+buy+cup|
The request contains a modified or similar version of the phrase, but not
Words can appear in any order.
|buy coffee cup|
|Phrase Match||« »||«buy cup»||The request contains a phrase which matches the specified phrase and may contain additional words.||buy cup |
|Exact Match||[ ]||[buy cup]||The query exactly matches the keyword.||buy cup|
You need to understand by what requests users, may be interested in these goods/services and the capacity of the niche is small.
- there is a probability to «catch» the necessary search queries, which can then be used in ads campaign;
- not necessary to spend a lot of time for creating a semantic core;
- in most cases cost will be a minimum CPC;
- using this type of match with a many numbers of negative words, you can get a positive result in the long term.
- risk of getting a lot of untargeted clicks;
- loss of budget for words, which don’t bring conversion;
- small CTR, which will reduce the quality score of the account.
Broad Match Modifier
When to use? In case if all the masks of keywords are known, but you don’t understand, what other queries may getting clicks.
- there is a probability to «catch» the necessary search queries, which can be used in advertising campaign then;
- higher CTR than broad match words;
- lower cost than exact or phrase match (not in all cases).
- risk of getting a small part of the untargeted transitions. In our experience, about 20% are untargeted;
- additional words and changes order of words in the phrase can powerfully change the meaning of the search query.
If a user enters any query, which contains a negative word, ads doesn’t shown.
Even errors are not taken in broad match for negative words.
You must decline cases of the chosen keywords and write possible variants with errors.
If the user enters a very long search query and your «negative» exists after the tenth word — the ads will show.
When to use? Ads are needed for high-frequency inquiries. It is important to avoid unnecessary shows.
- the risk of getting untargeted transitions is minimal;
- in most cases high CTR.
- if you don’t work out for different variants of the keywords, coverage of ads will reduce;
- high cost per click.
Exact Match Type
When to use? In case target requests are defined and ads is needed only for these word variations.
- risk of getting untargeted isn’t;
- maximum quality results will be obtained, if you labour correctly;
- high level CTR.
- coverage is minimal.
The most important at the development of Ads campaign — choosing the right of types match.
We recommend using the modifier and phrase matching for suckglings or — the modifier and well-worked negative words for experienced specialists.
Correct Match Type Organization in Ads Campaign
We recommend start Ads company with broad match modifier. Try different of strategy after you will get the first data of research.
Start the campaign with broad match modifier; use automatic rule (to update bids for show at the top of the page); gather data for further optimization.
- keep the modifier always in Ads Campaign: it gives many useful variations of search queries which can be used as key or negative keywords;
- use mono-syllable branded keywords in exact match;
- make a group with 3 types matches in brand campaigns for high-frequency queries: a modifier match for collecting «tailings», a phrase match for increasing coverage, exact match one for achieving the highest KPI on request;
- use a strategy different types of matching in the same group. It can be used in campaigns with commercial inquiries (if a high frequency is requested);
- set bids higher for exact match keywords, than for keywords with other match. It will increase chance of showing;
- exact match is the most profitable option in the long run;
- set modifier and exact match with higher rate in commercial campaigns for high-frequency queries;
- test keywords with different types in groups with no obvious commercial interest. Leave the variant which will have the best metric.
The template doesn’t exist, so testing!
P.S. Have you seen our new Google Shopping guide for business? It’ll help you to make your Google Shopping as effective as it can be. See for yourself!